Saturday, July 7, 2007

Double Chocolate Layer Cake

Last week I made a double chocolate layer cake for a 4th of July party. LZ asked me to post the recipe, so here it is. I used this fantastic chocolate cake recipe from Gourmet. If you can find it, definitely use the Callebaut chocolate as the recipe suggests (for all you Burlington cooks, you can find it in the baking section at City Market, this chocolate is great for truffles too).

I enhanced the cake by adding fresh sliced strawberries and pastry cream in the layer and on top. The berries and cream helped soften the rich chocolate flavor of the cake. Here's a good recipe for pastry cream. But the pastry cream is a lot of work--I'm not sure it's worth the effort since the cake really is the star of the show. You might as well just whip some nice heavy cream and use that instead.

No comments: